Saturday, December 19, 2009

Advent 2009 - 3rd Saturday


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

Father,
you show the world the splendor of your glory
in the coming of Christ born of the Virgin.
Give to us true faith and love
to celebrate the mystery of God made man.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

But now you will be speechless and unable to talk
until the day these things take place,
because you did not believe my words,
which will be fulfilled at their proper time.

In Zechariah's story we see how "unable to speak" we become
when we do not believe God's words of promise to us.
Let us trust that nothing is impossible with God.
Today, let's look at the ways we are being invited
to be open, to surrender, to trust, to love.
Let us become instruments of God's plan
in ways we might least expect.

My mouth shall be filled with your praise, and I will sing your glory! Ps. 71

He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah
to turn the hearts of fathers toward children
and the disobedient to the understanding of the righteous,
to prepare a people fit for the Lord. Lk 1

Intercessions

To Christ our Redeemer who will come again to free from the power of death
all those who return to him, let us humbly pray:
Come Lord Jesus!

As we proclaim your coming Lord,
- cleanse our hearts of every vain desire,

Lord, may the Church which you founded,
- proclaim your greatness to all peoples.

Your law is a light to my eyes,
- let it protect those who trust in you.

You allow the joys of your coming to be foretold to us by your Church,
-may we receive you with eager devotion.

O ROOT OF JESSE,
that stands for an ensign of the people,

before whom the kings keep silence

and unto whom the Gentiles shall make supplication:

Come, to deliver us, and tarry not.


Closing Prayer

Oh, Jesus who descended from Jesse,
you are a sign of God's love.
I feel hopeful and expectant,
filled with a rebirth of joy and love.

I depend you so much.
You are a rock for my belief
and a sign of God's love.

Fill me with your praise!
I want to sing your glory,
filled with joy
for the message of hope you send.

I don't always understand
when you are acting on my behalf.
Thank you for the message of hope you send me.
Give me true faith and love
as I celebrate the mystery
of how you came to be with us.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.