Friday, December 18, 2009

Advent 2009 - 3rd Friday


"Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer

All-powerful God,
renew us by the coming feast of your Son
and free us from our slavery to sin.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Daily Meditation

And they shall name him Emmanuel,
which means "God is with us."
Oh, how wonderful it is that Joseph listened to God in his dream
and was not afraid to take Mary into his home.
God's ways are not our ways.
Let us pray to be renewed and freed.
And, like Joseph, in being faithfully unafraid
to be open to our salvation.

She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus,
because he will save his people from their sins. Mt. 1

Intercessions

To the Lord Jesus Christ, judge of the living dead,
let us pray:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Lord Jesus, you came to save sinners,
- protect us in times of temptation.

You will come in glory to be our judge,
- show in us your power to save.

Help us to keep the precepts of your law with the strength
of the Spirit,
- and to look forward in love to your coming.

You are praised throughout the ages; in your mercy help
us to live devoutly and temperately in this life,
- as we wait in joyful hope for the revelation of your
glory.

O LORD AND RULER
of the House of Israel,

who appeared to Moses in the flame of the burning bush

and gave him the law on Sinai:

Come, and redeem us with outstretched arms.

Closing Prayer

Oh, Adonai, dearest Lord,
Compassionate God of justice,
so many areas of my life seem imprisoned
but you promise me real freedom
and peace in my life.

Renew my spirit and free my soul.
Please, open my heart
which you have bathed in the longing of Advent.

I am awe-struck as your glory fills the earth
and I want to follow you in caring for others.
Grant me the grace to see
how you shine your light on the poor
who have such a special place in your heart.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.